Monday 23 May 2011

We took a break last week travelling down to Weston-super Mare on Monday...

On Tuesday we took a look around the town and although there are miles of clean sandy beaches I never set foot on the beach.  At low tide the sea can be almost a mile out from the beach front and the tidal rise and fall here is one of the largest in the world and can be 42ft. The new Grand Pier is impressive, the old one being burned down in 2008.  This is one seaside resort that is not in decline as this Pier welcomed over 100,000 visitors over the Easter weekend. The owners were expecting the Pier to attract around half a million visitors for the month of April.  As I was walking out to the end of the pier I wondered how many trees would have been felled for the decking of this 1,300ft long pier.

On Wednesday we travelled 34 miles east to the city of Bath.  Once we had a guided tour of the city we went straight to the Roman Baths and I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the area. The Bath’s museum is well organized and very informative displays detailing the history of the site. The museum gives great insight into the engineering and construction capabilities of the Romans.  An amazing atmosphere in one of the smaller baths and I cannot remember whether it.was the east or the west bath.  It was the larger of the two. 

Later we visited Bath Abbey and I was a bit disappointed.  A magnicent, building but little atmosphere that I usually find in such places.   This is only my view as the Abbey is a great tourist attraction.

Thursday turned out to be another interesting day.  First we visited the Cheddar Gorge and explored the caves that go deep into the Mendip Hills.  We spent so much time in the caves that we did not have time to walk around the lovely little village of Cheddar.

In the afternoon we visited Wells, the smallest city in England.  I found the Wells Cathedral an amazing place it had such a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.    

On Friday we returned home to be met with a heavy rain shower as we crossed over the border into Scotland, this happens almost every time I cross the border heading north.

 But I should not be complaining about the rain as the farmers in the SE of England are crying out for rain.  Worse still an Ethiopian gentleman, after asking where I came from, went on to tell me of the terrible suffering in his country because of drought and he ended up by saying “Scotland is so lucky to have so much rain”.  That last statement really made me think, as we often take our own country for granted.

 A family from Thailand walked around Wells Cathedral with us and they were totally amazed at the building and its history, they said that they had never seen anything like it.  Yet we marvel at the magnificent sites of historical interest in Thailand.

I also spoke to a young Turkish gentleman who is working in England at the moment and his dream is to visit Scotland, especially Edinburgh.  Let’s hope that his dream comes true.

No, I am not working for the North Somerset Tourist Board but I am open to offers.

Dell contacted me with the following email

I have been attending a Spiritualist church for two years now and try to live my life according to Spiritualist values but I cannot bring myself to tell my family friends and workmates where I go on a Wednesday evening.”

I can sympathise with Dell because I was in the same situation many years ago.  When I did get around letting all this be known there were fewer sarcastic remarks than I expected, much fewer. No one seemed interested in what I was up too. Times have changed and if Dell does mention he is attending a Spiritualist church there will be a lot of interest, questions will be asked and I would not be surprised if the following is said “I have always wanted to go to a Spiritualist Church but have not wanted to go on my own, can i come with you one evening/”

 John asked; -

You mention Seven Principles I once read there was nine Principles”

The Spiritualist national Union which i am a member has Seven Principles; you may have been reading an article on The National Spiritualist Association of Churches (NSAC) which is based in the U.S.A.

They have nine principles which are; -

1.     We believe in Infinite Intelligence.

2.     We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.

3.     We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitute true religion.

4.     We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death.

5.     We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism.

6.     We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

7.     We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals, and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature’s physical and spiritual laws.

8.     We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed against any soul here or hereafter.

9.     We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing are Divine attributes proven through Mediumship.

Many of you are asking about learning more about their psychic abilities and where is the best place to go.  This is a big issue especially to day when we are getting daily emails about workshops etc.  I will do my best to give my views on this over the next few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment